POSITION OPEN! Come work with the Starbase Maxwell Team!
CALLING ALL EDUCATORS!
Our STARBASE Maxwell team is looking to fill a teaching position for the STARBASE STEM program here in Montgomery. We’re looking for an energetic and passionate educator to work with our kids year round to engage them in science, technology, engineering, and math programming in a fun environment. Come join our team! See below for job description.
STEM CLASSROOM INSTRUCTOR POSITION
STARBASE Maxwell is an educational outreach Department of Defense program that is managed by the Montgomery Education Foundation. It is designed to increase the knowledge, interests and skills of students in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) through an inquiry-based curriculum with hands on activities. STARBASE strives to create an environment to actively engage students in STEM exploration to excite their interest, develop a solid concept base, and encourage them to pursue these areas in future studies. The program is focused on 5th - 7th grade students.
STARBASE teachers perform complex professional and education activities. STARBASE teachers serve as high energy classroom teachers for academic instruction. Work also involves the analysis of instructional needs and development of lesson plans in alignment with DoD STARBASE curriculum standards.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement lessons for the STARBASE program
- Serve as a high energy classroom teacher to teach academic instruction
- Research, plan, develop and review STEM curriculum that incorporates effective practices in teaching and learning, integrates application of real world experiences and broadens students’ awareness of STEM careers
- Utilize a variety of strategies and teaching methods to encourage students’ curiosity and natural desire to experiment and discover
- Evaluate and continuously improve program and curriculum based on assessment data, evaluations, observations and educator and participant feedback
- Set up and break down all manipulatives and classroom equipment
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in education is required
- Major coursework in education, science, math, technology or related field is required
- Course work in elementary/middle school teaching methods is preferred.
- Experience teaching students in an academic environment is required.
- Experience teaching elementary or middle school science or related field is preferred.
- Experience teaching STEM content is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of science, mathematics and technology content
- Knowledge of curriculum development and instructional design
- Skill in researching and developing curriculum
- Skill in presenting academic curriculum effectively to diverse populations of fifth-grade level students
- Comfortable with utilizing technology skills in the classroom including Ipads, apps and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to present and communicate clearly and concisely tosmall and large groups of varying ages, and learning styles
- Ability to demonstrate effective utilization of instructional best practices in the classroom
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently within established and limited timelines
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, establishing and maintaining positive, effective working relationships with director, co-workers, district educators, community businesses and program visitors
- Ability to effectively and professionally represent the STARBASE program to the public
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to 5950 Carmichael Place Suite 101 Montgomery, AL 36117.
For more information, email Ann Sikes at Ann@Montgomeryed.org.